Friday, March 20, 2009

Recipe time!! Ricotta Gnocchi

I have touted the wonderfulness that is Allrecipes.com on this blog before. I adore the website and have found many wonderful recipes on there. I get a daily recipe from them by email and sometimes I don't even give them a second glance and other times they immediately scream, "make this dish!" Such was the reaction to the Ricotta Gnocchi recipe that showed up on Saturday morning.


Here's the recipe and then I'll explain how I adapted it:


Ricotta Gnocchi


1 (8 ounce) container ricotta cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup all-purpose flour, or as needed



Stir together the ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan Cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a large bowl until evenly combined. Mix in 1 cup of flour. Add additional flour if needed to form a soft dough.

Divide the dough into 3 or 4 pieces, and roll into 1/2-inch-thick ropes on a floured surface. Cut each rope into 1-inch pieces, and place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.


Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Boil the gnocchi until they float to the surface, 1 to 2 minutes, then drain. Serve with your favorite sauce.




First, I added way more ricotta than I was supposed to. I measured out 1 cup and then looked at my container and ended up adding probably two cups to the two eggs and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. I also added in about a tablespoon of dried italian seasoning to the gnocchi. I also probably added an additional cup to cup and a half of flour - and I only had 1 cup of regular flour so the rest was whole wheat flour. I essentially doubled the recipe but that's okay because now I have some in the freezer for another time.


Also, we made this with mild italian sausage...I browned the sausages first on all sides and then sliced them and added them back to the pan to finish cooking. Once they were finished I added in the cooked gnocchi to the sausage just to give the gnocchi a little color. Separately I was heating up a jarred vodka sauce I bought from Bertolli and brought it up to temperature. I plated the sausage and gnocchi combo and then topped with the sauce. It was delish, my lovelies! Do try this out...it's easy but kinda labor intensive so making a double batch like I did is better in the long run so that you have some on hand for quick meals.



L.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish! I LOVE Allrecipes.com. My turn-to website when I want/need a new recipe. :-)

P.S. THank you so much for your prayers and well-wishes earlier in the week! It means so much!!

Camille Platt said...

unrelated to this post, but to answer your question, I take Celexa. it was already a fairly low dose, but to be safe i've been breaking them in half.