Thursday, January 17, 2008

The First Snow of the Season!!!!


Okay...so I know other parts of the country have had scads and scads of snow....but here in the South we got our first snow in a long while.

Of course, we're talking about Atlanta and Atlantans become paralyzed by rain much less the mention of the S-word. When it finally starts coming down, people panic and run into the streets screaming and then jump in their cars to wreck havoc on the roads.

This, my friends, is what happens when Atlantans hit the road (AT RUSH HOUR) with snow coming down.
This is the view from my office building. This street is North Avenue in Atlanta (down in the bottom corner you'll notice the World Famous Varsity restaurant). North Avenue is a main artery in Midtown Atlanta. As you can see, everyone within a 2 mile radius decided to hit the road at the same time!!!!
Now, this picture is another shot from my office building...it's looking North at what we Atlantans call the "Connector". Basically that's the stretch interstate through the heart of the city where Interstates 75 and 85 come together. Yea, it can be nasty - on a good day it's bad...on a day like yesterday, it's atrocious.
So I arrived at my car, in the open parking lot, at the train station....and this is what greeted me. I started to get a little nervous because we were getting a lot of slush on the roads...but travel was just fine.
I got home and our neighborhood was a winter wonderland and looked so pretty. The dogs had fun romping in the snow covered lawn and the flakes falling down were huge. We didn't lose power and we stayed all nice and tasty warm.

No comments: