Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Stir Fried Vegetables - So yummy for your tummy!

So, I made a stir fry again tonight for supper - we had the same one last week and it was so good Shooter requested it again. I, of course, obliged because it's super easy and super healthy for us.

I first started out by cutting up an onion into big chunks.

Then I cut up my bell pepppers. Shooter and I are not big fans of green bell peppers so I use red and yellow ones. I prefer their flavor but they also lend a good bit of color to the dish. I slice them up into pieces.

Then I clean and set aside the snow peas and mushrooms.

We also love soybean sprouts. I prefer them to water chestnuts, but you could easily substitute water chestnuts if you prefer. They give the same kind of crunchiness to the dish.

Now, I get my "wok" ready - I heat it on high heat with about a tablespoon of oil in the pan. I use vegetable oil for this dish.

Once the pan is hot, I add in the onions and let them cook for about 3-4 minutes. They go in first because I want them cooked through a little more than the rest of the veggies.



Now I add in the peppers and the snow peas. They take a little longer to cook than the mushrooms and the sprouts so they go in first. I let them cook for about 3 minutes.

Now I add in the mushrooms and the sprouts. At this point I also add in about a tablespoon of Ponzu sauce. Ponzu sauce is like soy sauce but it tastes fruitier - more citrusy. :-D I'm making this all up ya know. hehehe!



After about a minute I add in about two tablespoons of a stir fry sauce I bought at the grocery. It's random - I usually buy whatever looks good to me that day. This one is kinda spicy and we like it lots. I let it go for another minute and if the sauce is still kinda loose (i.e. runny) then I'll mix a tablespoon of flour with a tablespoon of Ponzu and add that to the pan. That will help thicken it up for us.

Also, I added chicken into the stir fry this time....I don't always do this. Before I started the veggies I browned the chicken and the set it off to the side to hang out until the veggies were ready. Then I added the chicken back in to warm through.




In the meantime, I usually make up a pot of Jasmine rice. Oh lover of my soul...I adore Jasmine rice!!!!! I prepare it according to the package directions but add a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar to the water. It adds a little zing that I like with my stir fry. This time, however, I forgot to get it started and we ate the stir fry riceless. It was good, but I recommend rice.


Now...this is all for me....and only me....excuse me.....


*burp* Wow that was good!!

I hope you try this out...trust me, it's easy, it's fast, it's delicious and most of all it's good for you!
Later lovelies!
L.

2 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

That looks delicious! I love stir fry, and haven't made it in awhile. Need to look for Jasmine rice...I've never had it!

Anonymous said...

Look at this extremely healthy meal! Impressive. I have a wok/stir fry dish that is similar but less fancy.

Btw---I didn't realize how close we were in our pregnancy! Total BFF's you and I! LOL