Thursday, January 29, 2009

Shrimp and Pasta to knock your socks off

My mother shakes her head at me when I talk about how I come up with some of my recipes. To be honest, I hate following recipes. I like looking at a recipe and seeing where I can tweak it to make it more tasty or more my style. Take for instance this Shrimp Scampi recipe that I found at Allrecipes.com. It's a good recipe in theory. But it's missing something in my opinion. So I played with it and this is what I came up with.

Laura's Shrimp and Pasta

1 pound of linguine
6 tablespoons butter
2 tsp minced garlic (again, I use the jar kind)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp italian seasoning
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp, tails removed
juice of one lemon


Put your linguine on to boil, cook for 8-10 min until al dente.

While the pasta is cooking, melt your butter over low heat with the garlic. Once the butter is melted, turn up the heat to medium and add the red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper and italian seasoning. Stir constantly so that flavors infuse the butter.

Add in shrimp and cook until just curled and pink. Stir in the lemon juice and then remove the shrimp from the pan. Add in your pasta and stir until all the pasta is coated with the sauce then plate. Add shrimp to each serving.



If I had any one wish, it would be for people to not be intimidated by recipes. Cooking is one of those things that just takes practice and after a while you just get a sense for ingredients that go together.

L.

No comments: