Sunday, February 1, 2009

Yummy and Quick Homemade Barbecue Sauce

So, I ended up at home on Friday - sick. Yea, this pregnancy thing has it's not so fine points. One of them is your overactive mucous membranes. In laymans terms it means I'm full of snot. Normally I'm okay handling the snot but when you start come down with a cold it just makes things all that much worse. That was me on Friday. Snot everywhere and sinuses clogged solid.

How does that happen anyway?? How can your nose run like a river yet be clogged so solidly you can't breathe? That's one of those questions I'll ask God when I get to Heaven, cause it really has me stumped.

So, I'm at home on Friday and I have 5 chicken breasts in the fridge that need to be cooked...so I think, self, let's do barbecue chicken! So I shuffle to the fridge and to my amazement we have no barbecue sauce! I can't fathom that. Well, that puts me on a search for a recipe for barbecue sauce because I know I have all the items to make it.

I checked my regular standbys, Allrecipes.com and Food Network, only to be really disappointed with what I found. Then I found out that my Cooks Illustrated registration has expired and I wasn't in the mood to extend it. So my next stop was Recipezaar, which is an amazing site if you have a few ingredients and are looking for a recipe to use them. There I found a great recipe for a homemade barbecue sauce that looked very similar to one my Mom used to make.


Quick Barbecue Sauce

1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce

In small saucepan, cook onion and garlic in margarine until tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 15 to 20 minutes.



For my barbecue chicken, I just lined a baking dish with aluminum foil and then salted and peppered the chicken breasts. I then spooned the barbecue sauce over the chicken breasts, both sides, then covered the dish with aluminum foil and baked them for about an hour at 350 degrees. I served it with some rice and a corn and cherry tomato salad that I'd made earlier in the week. So Yummy!!!!

L.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love allrecipes.com. Usually. They have a great cheddar biscuit recipe on there that is easy and tastes like Red Lobsters. (I've probably mentioned them before)

I'm with you on the runny nose AND stuff up nose thing. What I really don't get is how my nose will be fine until I sit down, then it's call clogged up.