Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Recipe Time! Buttermilk Baked Chicken

Well, now that the kitchen has started to make it's way back to a normal state, I can get back to cooking.

I didn't realize how much I enjoyed cooking until I had a kitchen that was out of commission and we were forced to go out or get takeout. I feel so much better when I can decompress over the simple tasks of creating a meal.

Last night, I adapted a recipe from Southern Living All-Time Favorite Recipes, Volume I.

Buttermilk Baked Chicken
(adapted from Southern Living All-Time Favorite Recipes, Volume I)

4 skinless, bone in chicken breasts
1 quart buttermilk, divided
5 dashes of hot sauce
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 small can of sliced mushrooms
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp pepper, divided
1 tsp garlic powder, divided

Measure 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk and place it to the side. Place the chicken breasts in a ziploc bag and then cover with the rest of the buttermilk and 5 dashes of hot sauce. Allow chicken to marinate in the buttermilk/hot sauce for 6-8 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp garlic powder and stir well. Dredge each well drained chicken breast through the flour and then place breast side down in a greased baking dish.

Bake chicken breasts for 25 minutes. Turn chicken over and bake for 15 minutes more. Combine the 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk, the cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp garlic powder and stir well to combine. Pour over chicken and then back for 15 minutes more, or until chicken is no longer pink. Cover with aluminum foil if needed to prevent over browning.


Shooter and I had this with some leftover jasmine rice and he had salad and I had sugar snap peas. This was delicous and incredibly easy! I definitely recommend that you try this out!

3 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

I just laid out some chicken breasts this morning and then wondered what in the world I'd do with them this time. Thanks for giving me my dinner plans for tonight! Off to buy buttermilk...

Anonymous said...

how could you DO this to me? I'm starving, so hungry, and then I read THIS?? I need to eat now! LOL

Bogart said...

Sounds fantastic!